Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

ABOVE: Going green is a bright idea. Image via oprah.com

After a week of vacation, I'm back. Back to this shiteous weather, back to paying for my meals (Hi Mom and Dad! I MISS YOU), and back to parking my increasingly fat patootie on the couch to watch she-of-the-also-round-buttox, Oprah. 

Today's show was all about Earth Day, and Oprah had a lot of great recommendations for going green and saving some cash. Here are some of her best and most NYC-applicable: 

1. Buy LCD flood lights. While they cost $40, they last 10 years and will save you up to $740 during that time.

2. LCD TV's are more energy efficient than their Plasma counterparts. Also, as in most things, smaller saves more energy. 

3. Go meatless one day a week. Having a "meatless Monday" every week will save you cash, and is the equivalent of removing 20 million mid-size sedans from the road. 

4. Gardening is the single greenest thing you can do (and, though Oprah says that it's not so easy to garden in NYC, I'd like to point out that I have beets growing on my rooftop right now) and a $60 investment will save you nearly $200 in fresh produce. 

5. Finally, for all you home owners: If you make a green improvement to your home before the end of 2009, you may be eligible for a $1500 tax credit.

Check out Oprah.com for more green ideas.

No comments: