Friday, April 10, 2009

Budget Beauty Booty

Image via covergirl.com

Somehow I missed this article from the New York Times, that not only chronicled the fact that more women are turning to drugstores for their makeup purchases but also went the extra mile and had a professional makeup artist outline her top drugstore picks. Some of her recommendations?

..."CoverGirl AquaSmooth Compact Foundation for $9.79 ('the best liquid coverage in a compact liquid/powder format,' Ms. Orcutt said); CoverGirl Cheekers Blush for $4.39 ('It has a bit of sparkle in it, it's not just flat color'); L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara for $7.50 ('Makeup artists who trained me eight years ago said that it was the best, and I still think it is'), L'Oreal Le Grand Kohl Eyeliner Pencil in Black Sable for $8.49 ('This is a fantastic dark rich brown that works for everyone') and Revlon ColorStay 12 Hour Eye Shadow Quad for $6.99 ('This is the only drugstore eye shadow I like')."

The rest of the article is jam-packed with other recommendations and information--all of which indicates that getting pretty doesn't have to cost a pretty penny. My question: when is not wearing makeup and forgoing haircuts/colors going to be an acceptable response to the recession? Because, um, that's sort of been my MO for the last...since I was born and I'm in need of some affirmation (/cash so I can deal with myself).   But, I digress: the article is great and   definitely worth checking out. 




No comments: