Friday, February 27, 2009

Thread Bare


Image via Superstock.com

In these tight times, it's been hard for me to justify certain grooming expenditures. My hair, for example, has gone from sunny blonde to sandy blonde to sorta blonde to scarcely blonde to seemingly brown on account of the fact that I simply cannot stomach paying $300 for highlights. Other things have gone by the wayside, too. Manicures and pedicures were never high on my list; now, they're off it. I went to Supercuts the other day for a quick trim, and while I didn't come out of there looking like the Bride of Frankenstein, I also am not sure that what happened was worth $20--how someone can do a mediocre job cutting an inch off stick-straight hair is beyond me. Next time, I'm going to let my boyfriend do it. Really.

And then there are my eyebrows. Un-groomed, they are like two caterpillars embarking on a dangerous game of chicken. Groomed, they often seem off kilter and misshapen. I've never been able to pluck them on my own, and I am always frustrated when I pay someone and get not-so-great results. It's enough to make a girl want to rip her (eyebrow) hair out. 

Enter Perfect Brows, on 1st Avenue between 78th and 79th. They will thread even the most unruly caterpillars into glorious arcs for the low, low cost of $7. And, what's more, repeat customers get their 7th threading free.

I went last week and the result was fantastic: clean arches with minimal redness after the fact. A week later, my brows are still perfectly shaped. If you live in the neighborhood, this is definitely a good spot to try. 

No comments: